Thursday, December 26, 2013

Day 1: Detox and Sugar Withdrawls

So the first 3-4 days of the whole 30 are by far the hardest! However, today will not be as difficult as tomorrow. I would recommend going grocery shopping BEFORE starting... which I did not, and it was a struggle. I managed to stick with it, as I had enough paleo items in my pantry from my previous Whole 30, but it was not without difficulty! I had a few restaurants that I had researched in my previous whole 30 that had items on the menu that were cooked in the right oil and were able to easily make the necessary changes for a whole 30 meal.

Breakfast: The Paleo American Breakfast (this usually includes isernos chicken sausage, but again... I was unprepared!)
2 Eggs cooked in Clarified Butter
1/2 Banana
1/4 sliced avocado
3 slices of tomato
Sweet Potato Hash Browns

Snack: honey crisp apple (fundamental whole 30 encourages you not to eat between meals, but I have never been someone who was able to do this so I stick to a healthy bite in between to curb my hunger... If you are trying to go by the book as much as possible. Avoid snacking.)

Lunch: We went out to lunch at The Wild Duck Brewery in Eugene
Hambuger with a fried egg, avocado, tomato and onion
Fresh Cut Sweet potato fries cooked in canola oil (we will talk about canola oil later... it is only allowed when eating out)
Iced Tea w/ lemon no sweetener

Snack: Small hand full of almonds

Dinner: Taco Bowl
Taco Meat (cooked in approved spice mix), black olives, chopped, tomato, sauteed butternut squash,  avocado, Paleo chipotle mayo, and diced green onions.

Pre bed snack: honey crisp apple

It is very important on your first day to drink a ton of water. If you do not have a headache today, you will absolutely have one the next day. This is especially true if you have a sweet tooth.

How to handle headaches: WATER, WATER, WATER, eat more fruit on this day than you usually do, cold compresses, some recommend rubbing peppermint oil on your forehead- that never worked for me, and finally- There are ingredients in over the counter asprin/ibuprofen/etc that are not allowed on the whole 30... but if you are in pain and worry that you might not be able to make it, I recommend just taking them. I think its more important that you push through than to quit.

Everyone is different, however for me... The headaches lasted 3 days before they subsided. In the morning of day 4 I woke up feeling better than I have ever felt, so it is worth the inconvenience of detoxing from sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment